Environmental and energy benefits
Wind energy is one of the most cost-effective forms of renewable energy, and its environmental benefits are clear. The Alberton Wind Farm would:
- Provide clean energy for over 45,000 households.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by over 390,000 tonnes annually.
- Reduce reliance on non-renewable energy sources for power generation.
- Increased investment and employment opportunities in the region during the construction phase – c. 115 jobs.
- Indirect employment during the construction process is expected generate jobs for 270 people locally, 870 state jobs and 1360 nationwide jobs.
- Increased economic activity in the South Gippsland region.
- Ongoing economic and employment benefits throughout the life of the project.
- Contribute to the growth of the renewable energy industry in the area.
- Community fund of up to $80,000 per year for the duration of the AWEF’s lifespan (20-40 years) to support local community groups and events.
- The final amount made available to the community fund will be dependent upon the amount of capacity installed ($1,500 per installed Megawatt).
- Flow on effect from energy and economic benefits.